President's Message for December 7, 2012
Wow – I can’t believe the semester is almost over! The past few months have flown by and it’s already time for exams.
As students ourselves, your Students’ Union knows just how stressful exam time can be. We are committed to making sure that you know where to turn when you’re in need of some extra help.
Look out for your VP Student Life, Hayley Wade, and your VP Academic, Kenya-Jade Pinto, while you’re studying as they will be distributing de-stress packs full of goodies designed to keep you focused and healthy.
If you’re struggling with final papers or finding the time to cram in all the studying you have to do, the U of C Student Success Centre can help. They offer writing support, academic and career advising and support and various academic and leadership workshops that can teach you the skills you need to cope. Check out what they have to offer at www.ucalgary.ca/ssc
There are tons of on and off campus resources to help you through the next couple of weeks. We’ve put together a list of resources that we hope will help you maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle, it will be available at the SU front desk, in the de-stress packs and on the SU website. The list includes where to turn if you need to talk to someone, where you can find a doctor if you’re not feeling 100% and where you can find a little extra help writing that last minute paper as well as many more resources you may be interested in.
We know that study space is at a premium this time of year. Sometimes it seems like the only option is sit down in the middle of a hallway! Your SU understands this and, in an attempt to stem the space crunch, we’re opening up That Empty Space throughout the exam period for students to study in. Located in the lower level of the MacEwan Student Centre, That Empty Study Space will be open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., starting on Monday, Dec. 10. For a complete list of other study spaces on campus, check out www.ucalgary.ca/currentstudents/studyspaces
Our complete list of exam-time resources is available at www.su.ucalgary.ca/destress and in a pamphlet available at the SU offices.
As a little distraction from studying for final exams, here are some fun things that you can sign up for in the next few days.
- Deadline for registration: Dec. 14, 2012. Space is limited so don’t delay!
- This is the most fun you can have on campus in January! Register your team of eight to ten students and compete in a series of indoor and outdoor challenges around campus and the city the week of Jan. 21 to 25 for the chance to win the coveted Frostbite Cup and a winter ski vacation for the team.
- To register, download the form at www.su.ucalgary.ca/frostbite
Alternative Spring Break
- If you apply before Dec. 16, 2012, you could spend three days this spring break taking part in a volunteer super sampler. In less than 24 hours, participants will be able to fill their Co-Curricular Record by engaging with various community organizations, learning about Calgary and understanding the various issues the city faces.
- Apply online at www.su.ucalgary.ca/vs or contact us for more information at email@example.com
Good luck on your exams and I’ll see you in the new year! Hopefully I’ll see you at the Den tonight for NOG Fest and we can have a NOG Bomb!!
Students’ Union President