Orientation Fall 2020
Whether you are just beginning your first year, or you are returning to class and feeling a little uncertain, this page is for you. We’re here to help you find everything you need for Fall 2020.
First Year STUDENT?
We’ve updated our frequently asked questions and provided a list of updates to SU services for Fall 2020.
The SU is the campus expert on getting involved, making friends, and staying connected, and Fall 2020 is no exception.
This year, we are hosting a special virtual event to help you find the SU Club that fits you! Join us for 50 Days of Clubs beginning Sept. 14 on Instagram.
You can also search all of our 300+ Clubs at on ClubHub at suuofc.campuslabs.ca/engage/
A safe space for the LGBTQ community and their allies, the Q Centre also offers resources and volunteer opportunities.
OTHER ORGANIZATIONS AT UCALGARY
- Campus Tri-Media (CJSW, NUTV and The Gauntlet)
- Faith and Spirituality Centre
- Leadership and Student Engagement
- Women’s Resource Centre
- Writing Symbols Lodge
OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
Follow us on social media for updates on special events and activities throughout the semester.
ACADEMIC ADVICE AND STUDY TIPS
Learning online has its own rewards and challenges. Some of our elected officials have put together their best tips to help you out.
- Deyana, our Kinesiology Faculty Rep will show you The Basics of Using Zoom
- Justin, one of our Arts Faculty Reps has some great Tips on Making Time and Space to Study
- Manpreet, one of our Science Faculty Reps, has put together University Study Tips from a Fourth Year
- Caitlin, our one of our Faculty of Arts Reps can help with Understanding Academic Misconduct
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTRE
The Student Success Centre has resources for every phase of your academic career—from choosing a major to citing references. They offer seminars to help you build study skills, and specialized support for “First Year Scholars” and international students. To learn more about their resources, visit www.ucalgary.ca/ssc
SU ONLINE EXAM BANK
Looking for some practice questions to help you study? Bound and Copied maintains an online exam bank where you can search for mid-term and final exams. Visit exams.su.ucalgary.ca.
SU TUTOR REGISTRY
Struggling with your course work? Need help preparing for an exam? Your SU maintains a searchable database of independent tutors that are here to help you in a wide range of subjects. Visit www.su.ucalgary.ca/tutor.
We know it can be hard to find a quiet study space on campus, especially at peak times during the semester. But there are lots of places you can go besides the TFDL! Check out our student-researched map of study spaces on campus.
MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING
The SU has a special focus on mental health and will continue to provide de-stress activities and resources virtually and in person. Each year, we put together a series of events and services to help students manage their stress. Follow us on social media to find out about this year’s programming.
LIFE AT HOME
Chances are, you have spent a lot of time at home this year. So have we!
- Manpreet, one of our Science Faculty Reps, has an easy recipe for Veggie Scrambled Eggs with Avocado Toast
- Missing your lunchtime yoga sessions in That Empty Space? Watch for Virtual Fitness in the Space this fall.
- Missing your PALS? Watch for E-Pet Therapy coming this fall to our SU Instagram stories.
In a year like 2020, every little bit helps.
- Bound and Copied has Four Easy Ways to Save Money on Textbooks.
- The university lists a variety of sources to help cover costs, including scholarships and student aid: www.ucalgary.ca/studentfinance
- Hardship funding: the Student Hardship Assistance Fund is a fund of last resort which provides short term financial help due to unexpected and emergent circumstances.
- Our partners at ATB Financial have put together a great collection of articles that aim to provide students with financial advice. Check out How to make ends meet as a student during COVID-19, and 5 financial tips for high school grads as they head to post-secondary to get started.
Looking for something we didn’t mention? Head over to our Services Page to see our complete list of programs and services for Fall 2020.