Coordinator, Student Engagement
ABOUT THE STUDENTS’ UNION
The Students’ Union (SU) is one of the leading undergraduate student associations in Canada. We work to ensure that University of Calgary undergraduate students have the best possible university experience through advocacy, representation, and providing valuable on-campus services and programs. We also manage several businesses within the MacEwan Building including a restaurant and bar, two concert venues, a convenience store, a used bookstore and copy centre, and the MacEwan Conference & Event Centre.
Students lead our organization, and so SU staff are all teachers in some capacity. We coach, mentor, and work alongside the elected members of our student government to help them develop skills and make good decisions for the organization. Because of this, we trust and invest in our staff as they are pivotal in supporting and fostering positive and productive student leadership. The SU is a nimble organization that can pivot quickly to address emerging issues and trends. This role is ideal for a professional, early in their career, who is looking for the freedom to innovate and is willing to take the initiative to expand their range of experience.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Coordinator, Student Engagement is a member of the Student Services department and is responsible for the effective management, coordination, and continuity of new and ongoing SU events and programming.
The Coordinator, Student Engagement directs all aspects of engagement activities, including conceptualization and planning of events and programs, booking space, equipment, catering and talent (speakers, bands, etc.), execution of on-site logistics and effecting of consistent debriefing and evaluation with the goal of continuous improvement. The Coordinator, Student Engagement work with six part-time student Program and Event Assistants and is responsible for advising and coaching elected officials and SU staff on matters relating to fostering student engagement and a vibrant and inclusive student life on campus.
For more information on the role, including specific responsibilities, please consult the position description.
- University degree or college diploma along with one to two (1-2) years of relevant experience.
- Proven ability to plan for the design, development, implementation and evaluation of events and other programming geared towards increasing post-secondary student engagement.
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills to meet daily work deadlines, ongoing event and program commitments, and emerging priorities.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills to ensure self and others have a clear understanding of plans, activities, issues and other relevant information, and to ensure information is shared in an effective and collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated influencing and mentorship skills to assist elected officials and student staff in achieving positive outcomes.
- Superior interpersonal skills to interact positively and professionally with students from diverse backgrounds as well as members of the SU, university, and external community.
- Budgeting aptitude and basic financial literacy; demonstrated ability to understand and justify budgetary decisions.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.