Manager, Den & Black Lounge
We’re the Den & Black Lounge – a student tradition for 50 years and the best campus restaurant and bar in Canada. We’re located in Mac Hall, the vibrant heart of the University of Calgary campus. We’re charting a new path forward for the Den and we want you to be part of it! Join our team!
Reporting to the Director, Food and Beverage Operations, this position oversees the operational facets for the Den & Black Lounge including: financial targets and performance, service standards, marketing and promotional plans plus management of staffing, security and safety.
- Recruit, train, and develop staff on guest service principles and practices through: new hire orientation, providing coaching and ongoing feedback, outlining performance expectations and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Schedule staff, in alignment with the annual budget, to ensure proper coverage throughout peak times. Monitor and process payroll information.
- Provide ongoing training and coaching of staff to increase customer service levels and staff knowledge in the areas alcohol awareness and server intervention.
- Ensure the restaurant opening and closing requirements are met.
- Delegate tasks and follow up to ensure staff are meeting the operational expectations for food preparation and delivery, service time, restaurant cleanliness and customer service.
- Maintain high quality standards by monitoring and improving FOH procedures and execution.
- Update the POS system as required.
- Manage and account for cash floats and shortages.
- Lead month end inventory and reconciliation for liquor and restaurant supplies.
- Organize and execute in-house promotions and special events.
- Create and maintain preventative maintenance programs and coordinate repairs with the Students’ Union Facilities team.
- Act as a zone fire warden and work as part of the evacuation team in case of fire, or any other type of emergency. Ensure completion of detailed reports related to security and medical incidents.
- Co-ordinate staff training and maintain up to date records for programs such as WHMIS, ProServe, ProTect, bystander intervention, safe food handling, and other Students’ Union mandated courses.
- Complete the annual Best Bar None program application and inspection process. Ensure that requirements are upheld throughout the year.
- Three (3) years plus experience working in a restaurant/bar, at a supervisory level, gained within a high-volume food and beverage service environment.
- Strong team player with the ability to lead and motivate.
- Outstanding customer service orientation.
- Familiarity with the coordination of deliveries and take-out using third party platforms and/or restaurant website.
- Sales and marketing knowledge including familiarity with social media strategies.
- A diploma or degree in food and beverage or hospitality management is preferred.
- Involvement organizing live music events, including the management and set-up of audio equipment, would be a benefit.
- Experience training staff in alcohol awareness programs and server intervention considered an asset. Valid ProServe, CPR, Emergency First Aid, WHMIS certification required. Self-defense courses/certification would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Physically able to perform work; able to stand/walk for extended periods and lift or move objects up to 40 lbs.
For more information, check out the position description.
Interested? Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.