Supervisor, Event Operations
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Supervisor, Event Operations is a hands-on supervisory position for the MacEwan Conference and Event Centre (MCEC). The primary function is to ensure that all clients receive top quality service and that all requirements for catering and room set-ups are executed and presented in a professional manner. Specifically, the Supervisor, Event Operations will:
- Plan, coordinate, and direct workflow of tasks to ensure all room set-ups and catering logistical requirements are met or exceeded for all catered functions and events.
- Participate in supervising team work, including training, performance management, and coaching staff on customer expectations and technical aspects of the space.
- Coordinate the requirements of the on-campus delivery and catering program.
- Ensure that the MCEC department meets operational compliance with relevant federal, provincial, municipal and university legal and policy requirements including but not limited to health and fire safety, emergency preparedness, responsible alcohol service, aerial lifts, food safety and the MCEC delivery vehicle.
- Ensure proper storage and maintain inventory controls related to event set-up and A/V equipment.
- Identify items and areas which require maintenance, submit tickets to the Facilities team and work with them to schedule a time for the work to be conducted.
- Provide summarized client feedback to the MCEC department with the goal of increasing the customer experience.
- Ensure all event spaces are maintained and cleaned.
- Prepare and organize directional and event related signage.
- Liaise with employees and customers to ensure all event logistics are met; troubleshoot as required to meet changing needs.
- Review and update all processes, procedures, and guidelines related to the operations area on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible to prepare for, open and/or close events, supervise staff during each phase of the event and ensure that rooms are set up for the next event.
- Assess quantity and quality of food items provided for service and communicate concerns to the kitchen in a proactive manner.
- Safely execute deliveries which require the use of MCEC delivery vehicle.
- Assist with administrative tasks where necessary, and perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Event Operations.
For more information on the role, including specific responsibilities, please consult the position description.
- High school education with 3 to 5 years of hospitality experience, or a college diploma with 2 years of hospitality experience.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory or lead-hand experience working with a team is required.
- Previous experience ordering liquor and executing and reconciling bars for 20 to 500 persons would be considered an asset.
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License is mandatory.
- Valid certification in WHMIS, First Aid and Proserve would be considered an asset. On-the-job certification provided for ProTect, Fall Protection and Lift Operator.
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Excel, Word) and the ability to use company issued iPad/iPhone to review daily documents and submit required reports.
- Proficiency in using a variety of catering and management software is required (Opera, All Seated, Formitize, 7Shifts,and Dropbox).
- Off-site catering experience is an asset.
- Experience in audio-visual equipment set-up and troubleshooting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain a professional manner and manage self well under pressure.
- Encourage staff development through coaching.
- Demonstrated team-orientation with equal ability to work well individually.
- Superior communication (verbal and written) and strong attention to detail and product improvement.
- Demonstrated planning, organizing and prioritizing abilities.
- Cultural sensitivity; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of customers.
ABOUT THE STUDENTS’ UNION
The Student’s Union (SU) is one of the leading undergraduate student associations in Canada. We work to ensure that University of Calgary undergraduate students have the best possible university experience through advocacy, representation, and providing valuable on-campus services and programs. We also manage the MacEwan Student Centre building and several businesses within it including a restaurant and bar, two concert venues, a convenience store, a used bookstore and copy centre, and the MacEwan Conference and Event Centre.
Students lead our organization, and so SU staff are all teachers in some capacity. We coach, mentor, and work alongside the elected members of our student government to help them develop skills and make good decisions for the organization. Because of this, we trust and invest in our staff as they are pivotal in supporting and fostering positive and productive student leadership. The SU is a nimble organization that can pivot quickly to address emerging issues and trends. This role is ideal for a professional looking for the freedom to innovate and who is willing to take the initiative to expand their range of experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.