Supervisor, Event Operations
Reporting to the Manager, Event Operations, this position is a hands-on, supervisory role. Its primary function is to ensure that all clients receive top quality service and that all requirements for catering and room set-ups are executed and presented in a professional manner.
- Plan, coordinate, and direct workflow of tasks to ensure all room set-ups and catering logistical requirements are met or exceeded for all events, meetings and functions.
- Supervising a team of hourly employees, including training, performance management, and coaching on customer expectations and technical aspects of the space.
- Coordinate the requirements of the on-campus delivery and catering program.
- Ensure that the department meets operational compliance with relevant federal, provincial, municipal and university legal and policy requirements including but not limited to:
- health and fire safety
- responsible alcohol service
- food safety
- emergency preparedness
- scissor and man lifts
- delivery vehicle
- Ensure proper storage and maintain inventory controls related to event set-up equipment and A/V equipment (including chairs, tables, staging, lecterns, risers, pipe and drape, projectors, screens, microphones, speakers, public address systems and other events-related equipment).
- Create and maintain a preventative maintenance schedule for event equipment.
- Provide summarized client feedback to the department with the goal of increasing the customer experience.
- Ensure front and back of house is maintained and cleaned, and that daily function signage is displayed.
- Liaise with employees and customers to ensure all logistical event requirements are met; troubleshoot as required to meet changing needs.
- Review and update all processes, procedures, and guidelines related to the operations area on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible to prepare for, open and/or close events, supervise staff during each phase of the event and ensure that rooms are set up for the next event.
- Assist with administrative tasks where necessary, and perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Event Operations.
- High school education with 3 to 5 years of related industry experience, or a college diploma with 2 years of related industry experience.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory or lead-hand experience working with a team.
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Excel, Word) including e-mail applications.
- Valid certification in: WHMIS, First Aid and Proserve. On job certification provided for: ProTect, Fall Protection and Lift Operator.
- A valid Alberta Driver’s License.
- Hospitality industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience ordering liquor and executing and reconciling bars for 20-500 persons is an asset.
- Technical proficiency in audio-visual equipment set-up and troubleshooting is an asset.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The position includes the daily ability to carry heavy trays and perform heavy lifting. Specifically, the working environment includes:
- lifting/carrying: 10 to 40 lbs.
- repetitive motions – walking, bending, lifting
- variable temperatures
- high level of public interaction
- pushing/pulling: 10 to 80 lbs. daily
- operation of the Scissor and Man Lifts
- indoor and outdoor functions
- facility congestion and noise
We are the MacEwan Conference and Event Centre – located at the heart of the vibrant University of Calgary campus in Mac Hall. With dedicated staff and a professional culinary team, the MacEwan Conference and Event Centre is among Calgary’s top event facilities.
For more information, check out the position description.
Interested? Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.