I'm Interested In
How to outrun the winter blues
Are you dreading that winter has officially arrived? Longing for the days of being able to frolic outdoors? Have you gotten into a regular routine of being cooped up indoors with the days being much shorter and colder? Despite no longer being able to go for runs outside, play sports outside, or take part in an outdoor bootcamp, as a student, it is still just as important to stay active even if there is snow on the ground and the temperature drops.
Did you know that exercise can improve memory retention, relieve stress, boost your mood, and increase focus? These are all areas of importance in order to be a successful student. The university, as well as your Students’ Union offers tons of options to stay active this winter.
- Active Living offers a number of fitness classes at very good rates for students. They have everything from kickboxing, dance, to group fitness classes. The Gymnastics Centre even offers free student drop in every Tuesday/Thursday!
- You can also take advantage of Active Living’s intramural sports. You can join for a semester and play sports including dodgeball, volleyball and even Quidditch!
- The Olympic Oval allows full-time students to skate for free during public skating hours. And the Olympic Oval is still warmer than skating outdoors, if you really dislike the cold!
- Your Students’ Union offers free yoga classes every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in The Empty Space. No previous experience required and they even have mats for your use!
We also have student clubs on campus that focus on staying active, including:
- Outdoor Adventurers club promotes healthy lifestyles and the involvement in various outdoor activities
- Ski Club hosts a number of ski trips throughout the year
- Tennis, Racquetball, and Squash Club
- University of Calgary Longboarding Club
And many more! Check out the full list here and don’t hesitate to reach out to the clubs to get involved.
Or, just go out to your nearest hill and go tobogganing – we all know how much of a work out climbing back up that big hill is in all of our winter gear. It’s important to stay active during the winter months, and I hope that these tips help you beat the winter blues!
Jillian Zatka is a 4th year marketing major in the Haskayne School of Business working as a Program and Event Assistant with the Students’ Union! Besides sharing her spirit for Haskayne and the U of C with other students, she likes to cook new recipes, or be adventuring outside somewhere.