Undergraduate Research Symposium
Have you spent your summer in a lab and made a unique discovery? Will your critical analysis lead to positive social change? Share your accomplishments at The Students’ Union Undergraduate Research Symposium (URS) on November 27, 2018!
URS is an opportunity for undergraduate students from all faculties to showcase their exceptional research alongside their peers to the broader campus community. It is an accessible, multidisciplinary event for students to acquire academic presentation experience while providing exposure to all types of research and resources at the University of Calgary.
Interested in conducting research during your undergraduate degree? Visit the Symposium on November 27 in MacEwan Hall to learn about research opportunities on campus, see what your peers have accomplished, and find out how to get started from the experts!
Students selected to present their projects at URS are eligible to receive a number of awards ranging from $500 to $1,000. Our sincere gratitude is extended to the generous donors from across campus who contribute to the URS awards in support and recognition of excellence in undergraduate research.
Cumming School of Medicine (4x$1000)
- Four awards will be given to students in the Cumming School whose research contributes to the understanding of one of the following topics: Family/Community Health, Bio/Molecular Research, Pathology/Disease Research, and Medical Research.
Faculty of Arts (1x$1000)
- This award will be given to a student in the Faculty of Arts whose research demonstrates both exceptional skills in their field of study and the potential for global or community leadership.
Faculty of Kinesiology (1x$500)
- This award will be presented to the top scoring student in the Faculty of Kinesiology.
Faculty of Law (1x$1000)
- This award will be given to a JD student in the Faculty of Law, to showcase any legal research undertaken.
Faculty of Science (3x$1000) (1x$500)
- Faculty of Science awards will recognize three students enrolled in the Faculty of Science with outstanding poster presentations of novel, innovative and creative scientific research from any discipline represented by the Faculty. An additional award of $500 will be given to a runner up.
Werklund School of Education (1x$1000)
- This award will be given to a student who addresses a current educational issue in society through envisioning the future of learning and teaching. Consideration will be given to those students who may consider: an innovative or creative educational concept or idea, a central current debate in education, or the future of education.
Schulich School of Engineering (2x$1000)
- This award will be given to students in the Schulich School of Engineering whose research shows potential for practical application in the field of engineering.
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1x$1000)
- This award will be given to a student in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine whose research contributes to the understanding of Animal Health.
Office of Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure Award for DEI Excellence (1x$1000)
- This award will be presented to an undergraduate student whose project has incorporated a diversity, equity and inclusion lens, benefiting an underserved population. This can include, but is not limited to, Indigenous, gender/gender identity, racialized, faith, and economically disadvantaged groups and persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to students completing community-based research.
Office of the President (1x$1000)
- This award will be given to an undergraduate student whose project showcases excellence and leadership in research; an innovative project originating at the University of Calgary that demonstrates a potential for future success and commitment to the campus community.
Office of the Vice-Provost (Libraries) (1x$500, 1x$250)
- This award will be given to an undergraduate student whose project displays originality and depth in the selection of sources, with close attention made to a consistent citation and a thorough literature review. Consideration will be given to a project that contributes to the wider scholarly conversation, with plans for dissemination of research and publication.
Office of the Vice-President (Research) (2x$1000)
- This award will be given to students who demonstrate leadership through research excellence and commitment to innovation and discovery.
Provost’s Award for Excellence in Internationally-Focused Research (2×1000)
- This award will be presented to an undergraduate student whose project showcases excellence and leadership in research and has incorporated an international study component into their work.
Program in Undergraduate Research (PURE) Award (1x$1000)
- This award will be presented to an undergraduate student whose presentation demonstrates excellence in research conducted as a Program in Undergraduate Research (PURE) project.
SU Sustainability Fund (1x$1000, 1x$500)
- This award will be given to students who have focused their research on a sustainability-related topic, including energy, water, waste, economics and community development.
The Chancellor’s Award (1x$1000) (CHAN)
- This award will be given to an undergraduate student who exemplifies excellence in research and whose project incorporates cross-disciplinary and/or international collaboration.
The Judges’ Choice Award (1x$1000) (JHIC)
- This award will be given to a student whose research has been identified as having an innovative approach that stands out to the judges. This research has the ability to engage an audience with topically compelling subject matter and an eye-catching presentation.
Congratulations to the winners of all Undergraduate Research Symposium awards for their outstanding achievements in research.
|Una Mrdja||Faculty of Arts||$1000|
Harleen Kaur Hehar
|Cumming School of Medicine||$1000 x4|
Xin Ge Chen
Sydney Leah Sparanese
|Faculty of Science||$1000 x3|
|Sarah Hyslop - Runner Up||Faculty of Science||$500|
|Karamjot Kaur Sidhu||Faculty of Kinesiology||$500|
|Sunaira Tejpar||Werklund School of Education||$1000|
|Michael Jameson Francis|
Shaelyn Celeste Jones
|Schulich School of Engineering||$1000 x2|
|Jeffrey Nels Westman||Faculty of Law||$1000|
|Jenny Qianyi Liao||Office of the President||$1000|
Harsupreet Kaur Sidhu
|Office of the Vice-President (Research)||$1000 x2|
|Rachel Eirich||Office of the Vice-Provost (Libraries)||$500|
|Rahul Arora - Runner up||Office of the Vice-Provost (Libraries)||$250|
|Provost's Award for Excellence in Internationally-Focused Research||$1000 x2|
|Chantal Jeanette Snodgrass||The Judges' Choice Award||$1000|
|Joseph Mercado||SU Sustainability Fund||$1000|
|Cara Van Der Merwe - Runner up||SU Sustainability Fund||$500|
|XingYu Chen||The Chancellor’s Award||$1000|
|Bryan Ma||Program in Undergraduate Research (PURE) Award||$1000|
|Olivia Grace Scully||Office of Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure Award for DEI Excellence||$1000|
|Suhyeon Park||ATB Financial - Creating Happiness Award||$500|
|Igor Stukalin - Pathology/Disease Research|
Philip Surmanowicz - Bio/Molecular Research
Tingting Yan - Medical Research
Marissa Nahirney - Family/Community Health
|Cumming School of Medicine||$1000 (4)|
|Safa Abida||Department of Psychology||$500|
|Janelle Morhun||Faculty of Arts||$1000|
|Ashley Kolstad||Faculty of Kinesiology||$500|
|Mark Shearer||Faculty of Law||$1000|
|Faculty of Science||$1000 (3)|
|Ningzhi Gu - Runner up||Faculty of Science||$500|
|n/a||Faculty of Social Work||$1000|
|Tin Ching Tong||Faculty of Veterinary Medicine||$1000|
|Prajay Shah||Office of the President||$1000|
|Office of the Vice-Provost (Libraries)||$1000 (2)|
|Joanne Wong - Runner up||Office of the Vice-Provost (Libraries)||$500|
|Office of the Vice-President (Research)||$1000 (2)|
|Kevin Capuno||Provost’s Award for Excellence in Internationally-Focused Research||$1000|
|Kyeong-Min Jeon||Program in Undergraduate Research (PURE) Award||$1000|
|Qian Qian Wang|
|Schulich School of Engineering||$1000 (2)|
|Lise Margaux Rajewicz||SU Sustainability Fund||$1000|
|Jebina Shrestha - Runner up||SU Sustainability Fund||$500|
|Peter Friedrichsen||Sustainable Energy Development Graduate Program||$1000|
|Catherine Bowman||The Chancellor’s Award||$1000|
|Raveen Virk||The John Hickie Award||$1000|
|Sangwook Ahn||The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning||$1000|
|Hasham Kamran - Runner up||The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning||$500|
|Christopher Klune||Werklund School of Education||$1000|