I'm Interested In
Stress less with your SU – President’s Message for Nov. 26, 2018
I can’t believe the semester is almost over! The past few months have flown by and it’s almost time for exams. We know it’s crunch time and you’re no doubt pulling all-nighters, so the SU has got you covered for stress relief:
- Start off by dropping by Mac Hall and participating in Stress Less Week (presented by Daily Hive Calgary). Dec. 3-7, we’ll be hosting drop-in de-stressing activities in the north courtyard (by Stor) and That Empty Space. Personally, I’ll be getting a free massage on Monday, and making a mini terrarium Wednesday, but you can check out the entire Stress Less schedule here!
- The SU patrols campus during exams, looking for stressed out students to hand our De-Stress Kits to! Each kit is full of snacks and supplies to help you through final exams. Look out for social media updates to find out where and when we’ll be handing them out. They’ll also be available in the SU office after Dec. 10.
- We know study space can be tough to find this time of year, so we’re converting That Empty Space in to a study space throughout the exam period. Located on the lower level of Mac Hall, That Empty Study Space will be open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., starting on Monday, Dec. 10, and running on weekdays until Dec. 20 (except for Dec. 12 – see the next point).
- Looking to escape the stress of studying? Drop by That Empty Space on Dec. 12 when the space will be taken over by our SU Social Crew and turned into a “living room.” From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. that day you’ll be able to enjoy holiday movies, free snacks and a lounging area.
- Check out this complete list of other study spaces on campus.
- Finally, there are tons of on and off campus resources to help you through the next couple of weeks. We’ve put together a list of resources that we hope will help you maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle and succeed academically.
And if you’re tired of studying and just want a little distraction, here are two things to consider:
How about putting together a Frostbite team? Frostbite is the SU’s official winter games, Jan. 28 to Feb. 1. Throughout the week, teams of 10 students compete in a series of outdoor and indoor challenges to earn points for sweet prizes. The team who earns the most points at the end of the week will win a winter ski vacation and the coveted Frostbite Cup. Registration closes on Friday, Dec. 14. Go to www.su.ucalgary.ca/frostbite for details.
Have you ever thought about running for a position in the SU? Being part of student government has been one of the best things I’ve had the opportunity to do at UCalgary. Official nomination packages will be available in January, but in the meantime we’re regularly updating our election webpages with important information and deadlines. Check out our website to learn more about what it’s like to campaign and become an SLC member.
Good luck on your exams and I’ll see you in the new year!
President, The Students’ Union