Happy February, UCalgary,
February is a very busy month around the SU – here’s what we have lined up.
Sex Week (Feb. 7 – 11)
UCalgary’s annual Sex Week is happening this week, Feb. 7 – 11. It’s a great opportunity to have all your questions answered about sex, love, relationships and so much more. Check out the schedule of events and other resources on our website. Make sure you join us on Instagram @SUUofC for a virtual carnival of resources, and a cooking demonstration called “Passion for your Palate” (hosted by our very own Executive Chef Hussein Haji!)
Conversations on Black History at the SU (Feb. 17 and 25)
Join SU VP Student Life Assad Ali Bik as he interviews past and present student leaders, highlighting Black history at the SU. On Thursday, Feb. 17, our guests will be current SU Campus Food Bank coordinator Ganiyat Sadiq, and 77th SU Faculty of Arts Representative Tomiwa Oje. On Friday, Feb. 25, our guests will be 78th SU VP Academic Semhar Abraha, and 51st Vice President External Chima Nkemdirim. Both interviews will be streamed live on the SU’s Facebook page.
SU Survey – last call
Have you taken the SU Survey yet? There are two great reasons to do it:
- We use your feedback to improve our programs, services, and advocacy every year.
- You could win one of ten $100 Amazon gift cards. The survey closes this Friday, Feb. 11, so take it now and tell a friend.
SU General Election and Referendum
The SU General Election is coming up soon – here are the important things to know:
- This week, Feb. 7 – 9, we are accepting nominations for all positions, and it’s not too late to put your name in! All positions are open for nomination, including 20 part-time faculty rep positions, Senate, and Board of Governors, as well as five full-time positions including the four Vice Presidents and President.
- Up next: meet your candidates. Stay tuned for updates on who’s running for what office, and when you can view live forums.
- Voting Days are Mar. 8 – 10. You’ll be voting not only for your new SU leaders, but also making decisions on the future of the SU’s Health and Dental Plan via three referenda questions. You can preview the questions on the SU website.
Fines for Food (Feb. 14 – 20)
We are beyond excited to continue our partnership with UCalgary’s Parking and Transportation Services – it’s called Fines-for-Food. Have you got outstanding parking fines? Pay them between Feb. 14 – 20, and half of the revenue will be donated to the SU Campus Food Bank!
All tickets paid during this period will be included in the program, regardless of when they were originally issued. Not sure how to pay your tickets? Visit parking.ucalgary.ca.
Teaching Excellence Awards
We know that, just like all of us, profs and TAs have had an incredibly challenging year. But we also know that students have noticed – last year, we received a record number of Teaching Excellence nominations from UCalgary students. So do you have a prof that has been going the extra mile this semester? Or a TA that makes it worth getting up for an 8 a.m. lab? If so, make sure you nominate them for a Teaching Excellence Award. Complete a short online form and we’ll make sure they know their extra effort is appreciated.
Not that anyone’s counting, but as of today you’re only 11 days away from Reading Week! Hang in there – you’ve got this.
All the best,
President, The Students’ Union
Stay up to date by following the SU on social media, @SUUofC.