SU Elections: Position Descriptions
If you are thinking of running for an elected position with your Students’ Union you should be familiar with the demands and priorities of that position. The following is an overview of the responsibilities, time commitments and duties of elected officials of the Students’ Union (SU), also referred to as Student Legislative Council (SLC) members.
Executive (SLC): 5 positions
- VP Academic
- VP External
- VP Student Life
- VP Operations and Finance
Members of the Executive are voted by any undergraduate student.
Faculty Representatives (SLC): 19 positions
- Faculty of Arts (4)
- Werklund School of Education (1)
- Faculty of Kinesiology (1)
- Faculty of Law (1)
- Cumming School of Medicine (2)
- Faculty of Nursing (1)
- Faculty of Science (3)
- Faculty of Social Work (1)
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1)
- Haskayne School of Business (2)
- Schulich School of Engineering (2)
The number of Faculty Representatives sitting on SLC corresponds with the number of students in a given faculty and this number is reviewed prior to each election period. Undergraduate students may vote for a representative based on the faculty they are registered in at the time of the election.
Board of Governors Representative: 1 position
Senate Representatives: 2 positions
Representatives for the Board of Governors and Senate are voted by any undergraduate student.
Representatives elected through the SU General Election sit on the Student Legislative Council (SLC) for a term of one year (May 1st to April 30th of the following year).
General Responsibilities for all SU Elected officials:
As student representatives, elected officials are responsible for representing students’ best interests. To ensure accountability, all SLC members are provided with a number of formal responsibilities which they must fulfill. These include:
- Express and support all Student Union (SU) policies and interests when representing the SU in an official capacity;
- Attend and participate in SLC meetings, SLC committee meetings, and meetings of other bodies to which they are appointed by the SLC;
- Hold in strict confidence, unless required by law to disclose, all confidential information acquired in camera or in the course of the member’s duties; and
- Hold each Executive and fellow SLC members accountable according to SU policy.
SU Executive members have a number of particular responsibilities as the leaders of the student government including:
- Represent the SU by understanding and communicating all policies and positions of the Students’ Union;
- Report at each SLC meeting significant information which may affect SU operations or its membership subject to confidentiality or reason of law;
- Make human resource decisions as a member of the Cabinet;
- Develop executive goals in accordance with the SU Strategic Plan and the approved annual budget;
- Maintain regular office hours which shall normally include a minimum of thirty five (35) hours in a week; and
- Participate in the orientation of their successors.
For further details on Executive positions visit the SLC Executive page.
Along with the responsibilities outlined for all SLC members, Faculty Representatives are accountable for responsibilities particular to their role including:
- Report to students of their faculty the policies, positions and programs of the SU;
- Report to their faculty itself (e.g., Dean’s Council) the policies, positions and programs of the SU;
- Represent student constituents of their faculty at SLC;
- Represent student constituents of their faculty on university committees; and.
- Report to the VP Academic on matters of academic importance within their faculty.
For more information about the responsibilities of SU Elected Officials contact Michael Hedgecock <firstname.lastname@example.org>