Teaching Excellence Awards
Nominations NOW OPEN
- Nominations for the 2022/23 academic year will end at 4:30PM, February 24, 2023.
- Instructors and TA’s must currently be teaching the class.
2022 Award Winners Announced
The winners for the 2022 Teaching Excellence Awards have been announced. Read our full press release here.
Teaching Excellence Award, a Students’ Choice since 1983.
- Do you have a professor that inspires you?
- Is your instructor passionate about teaching?
- Does your TA always go that extra mile to ensure you succeed?
- Nominate them for a Teaching Excellence Award!
Since 1984, your SU has invited students to nominate U of C instructors who have had a positive impact on their undergraduate learning experience and academic careers. The SU Teaching Excellence Awards is the only campus-wide recognition program for those instructors who make a long-lasting impact on students.
An exceptional teacher is one who excels in all areas of teaching on a consistent basis. The SU believes excellent teachers:
- Outline expectations at the beginning of the semester
- Are able to communicate the subject matter clearly and in multiple ways
- Show enthusiasm for the subject and teaching in general
- Have the ability to cultivate thought and initiate discussion
- Deliver interesting, accurate and organized lectures
- Are approachable and available to meet outside the classroom
- Can provide up to date resources to students, beyond the assigned textbook
- Are fair and consistent in evaluation
- Motivate and inspire their students
- Are sensitive to issues of gender, race, disabilities, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc.
Please note: The SU Teaching Excellence Awards nominations are open for instructors teaching at the undergraduate level in the semester the nomination is made.
Making a Nomination
Teaching Excellence nomination forms are available online (see above.) Don’t forget to include examples and give details that will help the committee see why your teacher deserves this award!
Once the nomination period has ended, the SU Teaching Excellence committee will tally up the percentage of nominations each professor or TA received (based on class enrollment). The committee will then visit the top three nominees for each award category and survey the class.
The committee thoroughly reviews all written nominations from students, as well as how the nominee personifies the program criteria. Winners are announced in the spring along with a formal awards ceremony.
For more information about the SU Teaching Excellence Awards contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Assistant Award
Teaching Assistant, Honourable Mention
Teaching Excellence Award Winners
Teaching Excellence Award, Honourable Mention
Scott Radford Haskayne
School of Business
Guido Van Marle
Dr. Mayi Arcellana-Panlilio
Dr. Mark Petovello Schulich
School of Engineering
Dr. Kyla Flanagan