If you are participating in this year’s event, we’ve got you covered! Below you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions. As always, feel free to contact us for more information at: email@example.com
Dates and Deadlines
- URS abstracts are due on Wednesday October 25, 2017 @ 4:30 pm.
- Successful participants will be notified by email on or before Monday November 6, 2017.
- URS poster workshop will be held on Thursday November 9, 2017 @ 4:30 pm. Location: TFDL 440A.
- URS poster deadline (drop off to SU office): Monday, November 27, 2017 @ 4:30 pm.
- URS Poster Grant applications due: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 4:30 pm.
- The 2017 Undergraduate Research Symposium will be held on Thursday November 30 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in MacEwan Hall.
Students that are selected to participate in the Undergraduate Research Symposium will be invited to a reception and award ceremony in the second week of December. Watch your email for details!
The poster competition is the highlight of Undergraduate Research Symposium! The poster presentation will take place in MacEwan Hall.
Once you receive confirmation that your abstract is accepted into the symposium, you should begin creating your poster as soon as possible. You must drop off your poster to the SU office in MacEwan Student Centre no later than 4:30 pm on November 27, 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted.
We recommend large-format printing. Suggestions on printing sources can be found on the resources page.
Posters will be pinned or taped to large boards for the competition.
- Your poster cannot exceed 4 feet x 4 feet. All posters must be trimmed prior to submission.
- Your poster should contain at least the following elements:
- Short title
- Research approach
- Supplemental resources are welcomed to compliment your poster (Ex. handouts, ipads, etc. Please ask if you are unsure.)
- Get creative and have fun!
We encourage students from ALL faculties to apply! Awards are provided by a variety of faculties to support their students in research. Your posters will most likely be judged by someone who is not from your faculty, so please ensure the language is comprehensible for all levels.
The SU offers a poster grant to offset the costs of materials to participants of the Undergraduate Research Symposium. The maximum grant available per project is $50. All requests for funding are provided on an expense reimbursement basis.
Any current University of Calgary undergraduate student whose abstract has been accepted and who has not received a PURE (Programs for Undergraduate Research Experience), USRP (Undergraduate Student Research Program) or AHF MR (Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research) award is eligible.
Event day information
Your poster will be on display from 11 am to 2 pm on event day. You are required to be present for at least the 2 hour period in which your poster will be judged (the time will be sent to you in an email). However, it is suggested that you are available to answer questions for the entire duration of the event, so that along with the judges, students and members of the campus community may also learn about your work.
Upon arrival at MacEwan Hall please register at the main desk. The volunteers will assist you to locate your poster and provide any additional information to you at that time.
All posters at URS will be adjudicated by a minimum of 3 judges. Our judges are a team of U of C staff and faculty members from an array of academic and career fields.
Each judge has several posters to review, so it is important for participants to be prepared. It is recommended that all participants:
- Prepare a brief overview about their research (2 to 4 minutes max) to present to the judges.
- Try to use language that can be understood by people from a wide range of backgrounds. (Don’t assume the judge will be from your faculty)
- Be ready to answer questions.
To assist you with your poster presentation, the SU has organized a poster workshop:
- URS poster workshop will be held on Thursday November 9, 2017 @ 4:30 pm – Location: TFDL 440A
You will also find tips and tricks to create an outstanding presentation on our resources page.