Volunteer Tax Program
THE 2021 TAX SEASON
The Volunteer Tax Program is back to help you with your 2021 taxes. We provide free tax filing services by professional student volunteers who are trained by the Canada Revenue Agency. All U of C students, staff, and faculty (with campus ID) are welcome to use our services.
We will accept new clients beginning Feb. 28, 2022. Spaces can be booked at the link below (link coming soon!). The last day to submit new returns will be April 7 (or when all available spaces have been filled).
- – Only open to Ucalgary students, staff, faculty and alumni
- – Single with income below $35,000
- – Single parent with one child and income below $45,000 (increase limit by $2,500 for each additional dependent)
- – Married/Common Law Couple with income below $45,000 (increase limit by $2,500 for each additional dependent)
Things to bring to an appointment
- – All relevant tax slips (Could include T4s, T5s, T5007, T4A, etc.)
- – Any receipts for child care, medical expenses, and RRSP contributions
- – Government issued photo-identification AND UCID/Campus ID
- – Social Insurance Number
- – Tuition receipts (such as T2202, TL11A, or TL11B)
- – Charitable donation receipts
- – 2021 Notice of Assessment
- – Medical expenses *
- – Moving expenses *
* Restrictions apply. See more in the ELIGIBILITY requirements.
Other miscellaneous things
- During intake appointments, customers should be prepared to book a pick-up appointment for 2 weeks later. (they will either receive their completed tax return or will be given their tax return to mail into the CRA themselves if we are unable to file it)
- Proof of Vaccination NOT required. Masks are still required. And we are asking students to not come in if they are having symptoms or were in close contact with someone.
Eligible clients may book an appointment to visit one of our tax volunteers:
Please see below for a list of alternative filing options for you to complete and file your tax return(s).
- CVITP clinic: Utilize another free tax clinic in Calgary. Find a tax clinic in your area (cra-arc.gc.ca)
- UFile Online: File taxes yourself. It is an easy-to-use alternative and free for students with this offer code: CFS1981. UFile | Tax Software for Canadians. Get the best tax refund.
- File my Return: File my Return is a free, secure, and easy to use telephone service for eligible people with low income or a fixed income whose situations remain unchanged from year to year. Those who are eligible have received an invitation letter in the mail or in their T1 income tax and benefit package. File my return – Canada.ca
- Leong & Murphy Tax Management: Student Rates starting at $40.00, filling fee is included. https://lmtax.ca/
- H&R Block: Student Rates starting at $39.99 plus filling fee. https://www.hrblock.ca/
Please be advised that this list of resources is for general informational purposes only and is provided in good faith. The Students’ Union, University of Calgary does not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for the accuracy or reliability regarding these third-party resources.
Example: Zane earns $10,000 in 2019 and he pays $6,000 of tuition. Because Zane does not earn more than the minimum income level for tax (which is about $13,000), he will not need to apply any of his tuition credits. He can transfer $5,000 to his parents or spouse, and then carry forward the remaining $1,000. He can also carry forward the the full $6,000. In the future, when he earns more income, Zane can claim his tuition credits to receive a refund of his taxes paid. More information can be found here.
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to visit us in the tax clinic or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO ARE WE AND WHAT DO WE DO?
The Students’ Union Volunteer Tax Program (SU VTP) at the University of Calgary began operating in 2000 in associated with the CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. Since then, our program coordinators, Client Relations, EFILE, and Audit Team Leads, along with over 100 trained volunteers, assist members of the campus community in completing and filing their tax returns for free, either by e-filing or providing a mail-in tax return to clients.
What is the StudentS’ Union Volunteer Tax Program?
The Canada Revenue Agency, and other Community Volunteer Income Tax Programs (CVITPs) similar to ours, host free tax preparation clinics all over Canada for qualifying low-income individuals, seniors, and new immigrants and families. Every year at the University of Calgary, qualified volunteers are selected to prepare tax returns for eligible members of the campus community – many of whom are students and university employees. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), in conjunction with the Students’ Union Volunteer Tax Program team, provides training and tax software to over 100 volunteers who help to file over 1,000 returns annually.
Who is eligible for the SU Volunteer Tax program?
The Volunteer Tax Program is specifically designed to help low income individuals with limited income. To check your eligibility, please click here.
BE A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY
We are no longer accepting applications for this year.