The program is open to all current campus community members including students, faculty and staff. We do not accept alumni. The SU Volunteer Services Tax Program is run by a team of volunteers and can EFILE or provide a mail-in tax return to clients. Any member of the campus community can use this free service provided individuals meet certain qualifying criteria, listed below.
To be an ELIGIBLE client to use our free service, you must meet our eligibility criteria:
- Must be a current university student or staff member
- Individuals must have an income of less than $35,000
- Married/common-law couples must have a combined income of with less than $45,000
- Single parents with income less than $45,000
- Have less than $1000 in interest income.
- Must not own rental property or have rental income
- Must not own foreign property
- Must not have capital gains or losses
- Must not be self-employed or have employment expenses
Unfortunately, we cannot process returns for individuals who do not meet our eligibility requirement.
Please call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you need to find out about missing information, have questions about your file, and instructions on obtaining your Notice of Assessment (NOA). We are unable to contact the CRA on your behalf due to sensitivity issues with regards to client confidentiality. The CRA can be contacted at the individual income tax inquiries line: 1-(800)-959-8281.
Checklist of documents and information you will need to bring. Not all documents will apply to you. Click on the document to see the sample.
- Government issued photo ID (passport or driver’s license)
- Notice of Assessment or Reassessment (NOA) – required if you filed taxes previously
- (On NOA) Federal Tuition Carry forward or Transfer amount: $______
- (On NOA) Provincial Tuition Carry Forward or Transfer amount: $_______
- (On NOA) RRSP Deduction Limit: $ _______
- (On NOA) Unused RRSP Contribution Carry Forwards: $ ______
- Tuition Amounts Paid (T2202A slips)
- Scholarship, bursary, grant, student loan, post-doctoral fellowship (T4A)
- Interest Paid on Student Loan (Receipts)
- Employment Income (T4 slips)
- Tips/Gratuities (Estimated Amount Received): $ _____
- Interest or Dividend (T5 and T3 slips)
(Clients: Please note your interest income must be less than $1000.)
- RRSP Contributions (Receipts and T4RSP slips)
- Child Care Expenses (Receipts if applicable)
- Universal Child Care Benefit (RC62 slips) if applicable
- Public Transit Monthly Passes AND Receipts, if applicable (not deductible for 2018 and onwards)
- Charitable Donation Receipts (Only Canadian registered charities)
- Moving Expenses & Receipts if applicable
- Medical and dental receipts (Portions not paid or covered by insurance already)